Thursday 7 March 2013

Love in the Time of Ulyana Sergeenko


As today is International Woman’s day, I thought I’d tell you about a particular woman who, I’ll admit, I’m having a little hoe-mance moment with. A crush, if you will. Granted, I only heard about her a few short days ago and I’m still learning how to spell her name (seriously, why do Russians make it so hard? Must be all the vodka…), but I feel as though we have a special connection. Unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be getting her number any time soon (I’m working on it), but Ulyana Segeenko’s amazing Spring/Summer ‘13 has me in a total swoon.

Still a newbie in the fashion industry, this young Russian street style star, has just sent her amazing Spring 2013 collection down the runway at Paris Fashion Week and is making her mark with beautifully hand made and detailed clothes. This is no easy feat when you’re up against big fashion houses like Valentino and Chanel, but the suave Sergeenko has managed to hold her own on the runways…must be that tuff Russian blood. Her grandmother is a babushka after all. Sergeenko’s most recent collection shows her continued experimentation with traditional Russian imagery, through pieces such as embroidered blouses, and demonstrated contrast to these with more Americanised parasols, shawls and lace gloves. The result was a show that echoed ideas of a kind of Soviet fairytale, with a neutral colour palate of whites, creams and beiges, and soft shapes with flowing lines throughout all her work. Her collection gives off the feeling of being completely natural, fresh and organic and the pieces, with their subtle frills, firm bodices and flowing skirts resonate with a vintage femininity. An incredible mastery is demonstrated in the pieces and it is clear that Sergeenko, described as a perfectionist, has left no stitch un-sewn. The very smallest of details was adhered to in the show, with dainty school-yard accessories, like earrings with miniature cats and glasses embellished with tiny fruit, on display. This, coupled with the 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow' soundtrack played at the show, tops off the overall beauty and old-world feel to the collection perfectly. Here are a few of my favourite pieces...


There’s no doubt that I am in love with Ulyana. And I'm sure that we'll be very happy together one day...but untill that day comes, I'm perfectly happy to look at her runway photos over and over. As one does.

No comments:

Post a Comment