Friday 7 February 2014

The Art of the Hair Donut: A Tutorial

It's no secret that when it comes to achieving creative and exciting hairstyles, I'm about as skilled as a monkey missing both opposable thumbs. About the most I can manage (when I'm still half asleep in the morning and staring into my bathroom mirror like a zombie) is to scrunch my hair up into a very unimpressive ponytail. So when an extremely savvy student from Melbourne make up and beauty school Elly Lukas offered to teach me the ways of the hair donut (not to be confused with an actual donut...don't get those mixed up or you could be in a very sticky situation) I was more than grateful.

I'd had a go at the hair donut before, which is supposed to make putting your hair in a perfect high bun a sintch, and I gotta say, I had a few problems. Actually, thats an understatement - I was on definite struggle street. But after my one on one session with my girl with the beauty know-how, I feel like I can now produce a successful bun every day if the week! For those who still have difficulty getting this one right, I've included instructions and photos of my hair donut tutorial, so you can be bounding around with a perfect bun in no time! Turns out you can eat your donut and wear it in your hair too!
What you'll need:
A hair donut (duh)
Hair ties
Bobby pins
Comb
Step One: Tie hair in a high ponytail, or wherever you would like the bun to sit. Make sure it's nice and secure.

Step Two: Put your pony tail through the middle of the donut

Step Three: This is where it can get tricky people! Find the middle of your pony tail and spread your hair over and around the donut so that it's hidden. Secure this by placing a hair tie over the donut. After this step you can gentle pull at the center of the donut to 'fluff' the bun and give it texture...no one likes a totally uptight ballerina bun!

Step Four: Twist your remaining loose hair (or plait or braid if desired) and wrap this around the base of the bun. Secure this with as many bobby pins as needed. The idea here is to hide the hair tie.

Step Five: Gently pull out any whispy bits at the front and back to give a messier bun, or add bobby pins and smooth for a more structured look.

And hey presto! My hair bun!

And some final tips for you:
 If your hair doesn't quite cover the donut, you can always tease your pony tail to make hair a bit thicker. It's also important to buy a donut, hair ties and bobby pins that match your hair colour, this will create a much more pulled together effect.
And now that I have imparted my newly acquired wisdom on you, go forth and donut to your hearts content! You also have my permission to eat many, many doughnuts...


2 comments: