Tuesday 29 January 2013

Deeply Dedicated To Jewellery And Tara Lawson

The Oxford English Dictionary (at least the online version-do they even print hard copies of dictionaries anymore?) describes the word 'obsession' as 'an idea or thought that continually preoccupies or intrudes a person's mind'. Now, I have decided to boycott this term, as I believe it holds negative connotations...because let's face it, the idea of having something intruding into your mind doesn't sound remotely comfortable. So when I talk to you about my own, how shall I put it, little attraction, towards jewellery, I feel no shame or guilt...that is, as long as I continue attending my JAA (that's Jewel-Aholics Anonymous) Meetings. My most recent crush is on newly discovered Melbourne designer, Tara Lawson, whose simplistic pieces have me watering at the mouth. Metaphorically of course...cough.

A relatively new designer on the scene, Lawson began designing in late 2010 after creating jewellery for some of Australia's largest jewellery houses. Her debut collection, 'Lushland', received an astounding response and, not only paved the way for her own designing career, but also allowed her to showcase her own personal style. The pieces meld elements of nature with the simplicity of geometric shapes, seeming to create a feeling of magic and mysticism within her work. Each piece is individually handcrafted, cast in precious metals and then often decorated with colourful semi-precious stones to add impact. I can't seem to get enough (in a completely healthy and un-obsessive fashion) of her latest collection, 'Kiss', in which Lawson has focused on the philosophy of simplicity, creating pieces that make a statement yet are delicate and also perfect for everyday wear. My favourite rings from the Kiss collection are listed below...

ring-whatgoesaroundcomesaround$50
What Goes Around Come Around Ring

ring-hugs$140
Hugs Ring

ring-longcross$60
Longcross Ring

ring-allseeingeye$120
The All Seeing Eye Ring

So maybe I am a little devoted, infatuated and, dare I say it, bewitched, by jewellery. What of it?! Call me obsessed, hell, call me crazy if you must, but surely even those who aren't quite as, erm, dedicated to shiny things as I am, will find it difficult to keep their hands off these Tara Lawson pieces. But now, if you'll excuse me, I have a JAA Meeting to attend...

No comments:

Post a Comment