Thursday 20 December 2012

Chicken Burritos and Trannies...Thank You South Melbourne

As the market season reaches it's peak in Melbourne Town, it can be somewhat of a challenge to fit them all in to this busy season. Do I go to the People's Market, The Sisters Market, the St Kilda Market, the Shirt and Skirt Market or the classic Victoria Night Market? Everywhere I turn my head there's a new market popping up (they breed faster than rabbits with a seriously strong sex drive) and I'm starting to get some terrible whiplash. Luckily however, I did manage to make it to the final sesh of the South Melbourne Night Market yesterday before it's closure over these Chrisymassy times.

Set up underneath the verandah of Cecil and Coventry Street, this market pedals a range of independent local fashion, hawker-style street food, live music (there were also some very, er, colorful transvestites), wine bars and local restaurants. The fashion and jewellery stalls were a little more low key than some other markets I've frequented, with the items seeming a little more rustic and homemade. Though much to my delight I did spy a pair if Prada heels for only 250 dollars, before my delight was crushed when I discovered they were a size 6. I took comfort from the fact that the person who bought them was probably very short.

Inside the market itself there are a number of permanent shops set up which held the most interesting array of objects. Cute and quirky places selling awesome stationary and mini hot air balloons as well as, my favorite, a jewellery store called Stone Glint & Bone, which sold an array of incredible chunky and drool inducing pieces. The food is a highlight at the market, with Spanish, Turkish and seafood restaurants all pumping with hungry market-goers and food stalls selling chicken burritos. I probably didn't look all that attractive with sauce running down my arm and bean mix on my shoes, but damn they were good burritos!

For my final market before Christmas I feel like the South Melbourne satisfied all my needs. Though there is still a weekend before Christmas...I wonder if I could fit another one in...











No comments:

Post a Comment