Saturday 29 September 2012

Killing Two Birds With One Stone

I'm pretty sure my coffee companion had to pick my jaw up off the floor this morning when we walked into recently opened South Yarra cafe Two Birds One Stone. With its Scandinavian design, naked light bulbs and terrariums, nothing says upper class hipster quite like this space, brought to you by the former crew of Liar Liar and Three Bags Full. I was also amazed to see the huge option of seating available! whether your a subconscious alcoholic who loves to be seated at the bar, a social being who delights in the communal table or a couple who just want to make out in a booth, Two Birds have you covered. There's something about this place that I can't quite put my finger on, but as soon as we walked through the door I felt good vibes flying at me from all directions, from the friendly staff to the smiling baristas churning out lattes behind the hard working Synesso machine.

The coffee, made from the five senses blend (this name totally always makes me think of the movie 'The Sixth Sense'...wouldn't it be cool if there was a coffee that could make you see ghosts!), was great and I also indulged in a Panama Don Pepe filter which was extremely drinkable, quite floral and had a light acidity. The food here is, to say the least, da bomb (which is to be expected from ex-Press Club Group chef, David Finlayson). Given the fact that they opened only in July, I was thoroughly impressed with the well developed menu that has offerings from the classic bircher to a rich salt cod and potato cake on wilted spinach. We selected the white omelette filled with hot smoked salmon and fennel salad and the deeeelectable smashed avocado and feta on grainy toast with capers and radish.

All in all, a fantastic and friendly cafe that I will definitely be traveling across town for again (and thats saying a lot...I don't get on the Frankston or Cranbourne line for just any old latte people!). In terms of both coffee and food this place really does kill two birds with one stone.

No comments:

Post a Comment